Review: The Friend by Teresa Driscoll

The Friend: An emotional psychological thriller with a twist - Teresa O'Driscoll

Published by: Thomas & Mercer  (22nd March 2018)

ISBN: 978-1542046664

Rating: 5*

Source: Netgalley

Synopsis:

On a train with her husband, miles from home and their four-year-old son, Ben, Sophie receives a chilling phone call. Two boys are in hospital after a tragic accident. One of them is Ben.

She thought she could trust Emma, her new friend, to look after her little boy. After all, Emma’s a kindred spirit—someone Sophie was sure she could bare her soul to, despite the village rumours. But Sophie can’t shake the feeling that she’s made an unforgivable mistake and now her whole family is in danger.

Because how well does she know Emma, really? Should she have trusted her at all?

Time is running out. Powerless to help her child, still hours from home, Sophie is about to discover the truth. And her life will never be the same.

Review:

Wow! Teresa Driscoll must have magic fingers to weave such an enticing, gripping tale. It is obvious that the story has been clearly and precisely thought out, and the book is intelligently written, with more twists and turns than your average rollercoaster. I read it in one sitting, furiously devouring each page, unable to rest until I'd reached the end and discovered the fate of the boys in the hospital.

The story alternates between the present day Sophie, on the train, rushing towards the hospital, and the Sophie from the past, recounting the day she met Emma and how their friendship grew. I didn't find this, or the switch between narratives, distracting, I notice other reviewers have mentioned there being a lot of back story, but I feel that is the main part of this chilling tale, after all it's about The Friend.

I think immediately after reading this, everyone is likely to be rather less trusting of people they meet and seem to have an affinity with! I do wonder where the author got the idea...

I can't wait to see what Teresa Driscoll comes up with next!

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. This is my unbiased review.