Publication Date: 22nd January 2015
In New York Times bestselling author Rebecca Cantrell's sequel to the award-winning The World Beneath, software genius, Joe Tesla, confronts an equally brilliant and far more powerful foe.
Still crippled by agoraphobia and confined to the tunnels under New York City, Joe is haunted by the fact that he cannot even attend his father's funeral. His father’s death brings threats to the safety of Joe's underground home: guilt over the broken relationship that can never be healed, a mysterious box of papers inherited from eccentric inventor Nikola Tesla, and a ruthless enemy determined to steal those papers no matter the cost.
Mystified by why his inheritance is so valuable, Joe and his service dog, Edison, follow clues left a century ago by Joe's famous ancestor to reveal the power of his family legacy. While Joe must rely on his considerable talents as a hacker, he must also reach out to friends.
But whom can he trust as he battles to save his beloved city from . . . The Tesla Legacy?
Although I've not read the first book in this series, it didn't impede my enjoyment of this second book to feature Joe Tesla. All the background needed was provided - in fact, I had forgotten it was part of a series by the time I finished reading it.
Joe is quite a mysterious character but he is likeable and believable. He's complex, well developed and so very interesting. Joe's dog, Einstein, is a wonderful character too, as is Vivian, who provides his security.
I found the story quite compelling, it's a real page turner with some really tense moments. A great book, thoughtfully and intelligently written.
Praise for the first in the series:
* Winner of International Thriller Writers Thriller award!
* Chosen as Indie Insider by Amazon, Top Indie Pick by Barnes& Noble
* “THE WORLD BENEATH by Rebecca Cantrell is a heart-pounding thriller with an infective puzzle! Rebecca Cantrell brings to life the amazing world beneath the sidewalks of New York…a virtual page-turner!” – Publisher’s Marketplace
* “Cantrell has also ventured into deep, dark places — most literally — for her new novel, “The World Beneath,” which plunges the reader into New York’s vast subway system…a taut and dangerous struggle.” — The Edge
* “Cantrell’s THE WORLD BENEATH simply blew me away: exciting, visceral, inventive, illuminating. The main character, Joe Tesla, is as charming as he is resourceful. He’s an agoraphobic trapped within the dark bowels of New York City who must face a threat to the bright world above him. Full of tantalizing true secrets of that subterranean world, matched with a breakneck pacing of a shocking thriller, here is a novel that shines a light on the beauty and horror hidden just out of sight beneath the world’s greatest city. So grab a flashlight and get ready an adventure like no other.” – James Rollins, New York Times bestselling author of The Eye of Go
About the author:
New York Times bestselling author Rebecca Cantrell's novels have won the Bruce Alexander and the Macavity awards and been nominated for the Barry, Mary Higgins Clark, APPY, RT Reviewers Choice, and Shriekfest Film Festival awards. She and her husband and son just left Hawaii's sunny shores for adventures in Hannah Vogel's hometown--Berlin.
She is the author of the Hannah Vogel mystery series, including A Trace of Smoke, A Night of Long Knives, A Game of Lies, and A City of Broken Glass. She also co-writes the Order of Sanguines series with James Rollins, including The Blood Gospel and the upcoming Innocent Blood.
As Bekka Black, Rebecca wrote the critically-acclaimed YA cell phone novels iDrakula and the iFrankenstein.