Review: Lights Over Emerald Creek by Shelley Davidow

Lights Over Emerald Creek - Shelley Davidow

Thanks to Hague Publishing for the ARC I received, via netgalley, in return for an honest review.

Lucy Wright is a 16 year old paraplegic living with her father on a 10,000 acre farm in Queensland, Australia. One night, Lucy sees some mysterious lights over the creek at the bottom of the farm and discovers a peculiar shape in the sand, which she discovers is a cymatic.

The mystery deepens when Lucy is somehow transported to an alternate universe connected to our own by sound. As if this wasn't enough, a Scottish University student Lucy has been corresponding with is drawn to the curious place too.

Part fantasy mystery, with some romance and sci-fi thrown in for good measure, this short story of 196 pages is an enigma. It struggles to decide which genre it wants to be and I feel it becomes confusing as a result.

I enjoyed it in parts; Lucy is an engaging character and fun to read; at times there was enough mystery to keep me entertained. The plot is different from anything I've read, but I feel there was something missing. It didn't quite engage me enough.

3/5