Review: Respect by Mandasue Heller

Respect - Mandasue Heller

I was really looking forward to reading this novel by Mandasue Heller as I'd read one of her previous books and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had concerns that this one might not live up to my expectations, but I needn't have worried as Respect is just as impressive.

Sixteen year old protagonist Chantelle lives with younger brother, Leon, and their erstwhile mum, who thinks nothing of swanning off for weeks at a time, leaving her children to fend for themselves. Chantelle does her best to look after Leon, but the situation rapidly spirals out of control when Chantelle bites off more than she can chew.

Chantelle is a magnificent lead, believable and wonderfully written; her situation described impeccably and supporting characters both colourful and engaging. The world that Chantelle lives in is brought to life with Heller's clever use of language and descriptive prose.

I found this novel so hard to put down that I read it in just one sitting! The story gripped me from the outset and played havoc with my emotions.  I'm so glad I got to devour Respect, and would like to thank the great team at bookbridgr for enabling this. 5/5.