Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey

Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey - Rachel Simon I doubt very much that I would ever have chosen this book to read without some help from my fellow bookclub members, as true stories are not really my cup of tea. Taking that into consideration, I did quite like this book. It is well written and has quite endearing and well-described characters. I completely got Both, having worked with lots of children and adults with varying degrees of learning disabilities. The way she was described was great and enabled me to build a real picture of her in my head, perhaps helped by my work experiences. I didn't find Rachel so easy to get to know, and by the end of the book I still didn't have a clear picture of her physically, but better understood her personality.
I did find the accounts of the bus journeys a little same-y after a while, but I managed not to 'skim' (a sure sign that I've become bored with a book!) until the last few chapters. I know the whole premise of the book was about Rachel riding the buses with Beth, but I found the recounting of similar conversations rather monotonous. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, but I won't be rushing to read another by this author.