Spook's: Alice

Spook's: Alice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #12) - Joseph Delaney Received this book via a goodreads giveaway. 'Alice' is the 12th and penultimate book in the Spook's series, and is the only one I have read to date. Despite not having read any of the previous eleven books, I found Alice easy to read - in fact I have just finished it now, at 4.15AM as I was unable to put it down so I carried on reading through the night, desperate to know what happened next!
Alice gives enough background information for you to understand her part in the series together with some of her history. The story is well written, fast-paced, exciting and intriguing - a great combination! The characters are described really well, so that the reader can picture them easily. The plot is full of twists and turns and isn't predictable. Just when you think you know what is about to happen, another twist takes you in a totally different direction and being taken along for the ride is brilliant! I've not read anything else by Joseph Delaney, but I will definitely be reading more from this great author.
5 out of 5 stars - not a score I give often or lightly. I am really looking forward to starting the Spook's series from the very beginning - many sleepless nights to follow!