Review: The Last Time We Saw Marion by Tracey Scott-Townsend

The Last Time We Saw Marion - Tracey Scott-Townsend

I'd like to sincerely thank the author for giving me a free copy of her novel in return for an honest review.  The story portrayed in this book is rather harrowing, intensely emotive and thought-provoking. I feel that the author has drawn on very personal experiences to create such a multi-layered novel.

The characters here are well written, particularly Marion. The thoughtful use of descriptors makes her story so shocking. I felt as though I was being allowed rare glimpses into the mind that she took great care to hide from everyone but her twin brother Cal.  It was interesting to see how the family dynamic worked, and what effect this had on the more vulnerable members of the family.

The introduction of Marianne is a twist I couldn't have predicted. She crashes into the lives of Cal and older sister Sarah, bringing out feelings and emotions they'd buried long ago.

If I had to described this book in one sentence, I would find it impossible. Tracey Scott-Townsend has used some of the worst human experiences and turned them on their head. Life. Death. Does reincarnation exist? Do memories of our past lives bubble under the surface of our consciousness? This novel certainly made me consider my answers to these questions.

I found some parts of this novel a bit uncomfortable to read as they deal with such raw human emotion. I hope the reader perseveres through the tough bits in order to finish the novel, it's worth it.