Review: Ignition: An Educator's Journey by Michelle Arrose

Ignition: An Educator's Journey - Michelle Arrose

This book follows protagonist Karen's journey as she embarks on her first teaching role. She is assigned to a rather challenging class of students, and we see how the emotional struggle to engage her students affects her relationships with her husband and fellow teachers. This novella explores the difficulty that teachers face when trying to educate non-conforming students.

The author has done something very clever with this book that I've not seen before - the reader gets to choose the ending they would prefer, from a choice of three. Adding these alternate final chapters really made me consider how I wanted to story to end and my reasons for choosing the conclusion I did. This is such a unique selling point.

I enjoyed reading this story, but I didn't find any of the characters very likeable. Karen was very emotional throughout and I was uncomfortable with the way she was so dependent on husband Billy. She appeared to be such a weak character that I found her rather annoying. She had such a lack of confidence and self-esteem that I found myself questioning her relationship with Billy. He seemed very controlling and she was too easily pacified by his words and simply by being in his arms. Perhaps if the story was longer that relationship could be explored further.

The story flows quite well and the writing style is easy to follow. There are some issues with punctuation and wording (my pet peeve) but readers shouldn't find that this devalues the plot.
There are a couple of sex scenes that I don't really feel are needed as they're very short and add nothing to the story. If they were more drawn out, readers might find that they build on Karen and Billy's relationship and/or find them erotic.

Summary:
An interesting short story with a unique twist. An enjoyable easy read that shows potential. Gives insight into the darker side of education. In some ways I wish this was a longer book as I'd like to have got to know more about the characters and what makes them tick. 3.5/5.