Review: Expiration Day by William Campbell Powell

Expiration Day - William Campbell Powell

Wow! What an exhilarating debut! Thanks to the author, William Campbell Powell, for sending me an advance reading copy of this fabulous novel in return for an honest review.

The year is 2049. Tania Deeley, our young female protagonist, is aware that she's one of a very small elite group of human children that remain in existence. Sophisticated robots, known as teknoids, are leased to couples in place of the children they cannot have. These teknoids look human and, for the most part, display human behaviours. As the book follows Tania's journey from child to teenager, certain events happen that result in Tania questioning her very existence, let alone her future.

At the beginning of the book, I thought I knew who was a teknoid and who human, but once the revelations started, they came thick and fast. This fast paced story made me question exactly what it means to be human. We accompany Tania on her emotional rollercoaster as she hurtles at breakneck speed towards the brilliant and unforseen conclusion.

I found it so hard to put this book down, it kept me awake half the night! Such a compelling read, it doesn't seem possible that this is Powell's first novel!