Review: For Reasons Unknown by Michael Wood

For Reasons Unknown - Michael Wood

Published by: Killer Reads (5th November 2015)

ISBN: 978-0008158675

Source: Purchased

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

DCI Matilda Darke has returned to work after a nine month absence. A shadow of her former self, she is tasked with re-opening a cold case: the terrifyingly brutal murders of Miranda and Stefan Harkness. The only witness was their eleven-year-old son, Jonathan, who was too deeply traumatized to speak a word.

Then a dead body is discovered, and the investigation leads back to Matilda's case. Suddenly the past and present converge, and it seems a killer may have come back for more…

Review:

For Reasons Unknown has been languishing on my TBR for far too long, so I've started the year as I mean to go on, and what a cracking start! This is crime writing at its very best and I'm seriously impressed. The plot had me on the edge of my seat, it's full of twists and turns that I didn't see coming, the characters are great...DCI Matilda Darke is brilliant! The ending had me actually shouting 'Noooo!' at my kindle!

DCI Matilda Darke is a fantastic character. She's a little broken, but there's a glimpse of fighting spirit underneath, which I'm looking forward to seeing more of in subsequent books. There's lots of interaction with her colleagues too, which I really enjoyed, so I hope to see some of those again too.

The author has an easy way of drawing you in and keeping you interested in the story throughout. His intelligent writing style and great use of detail really made the story come alive. I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it to all readers of crime and psychological thrillers and police procedurals.