Review: Ribbonworld (The Balcom Dynasty Book 1) by Richard Dee

Ribbonworld (The Balcom Dynasty Book 1) - Richard Dee

Published by: 4Star Scifi (3rd July 2017)

ISBN: 978-1781324677

Source: Purchased

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

Miles Goram has a problem. All the down-on-his-luck journalist planned on doing was writing a hotel review and now there’s a body in his bathroom. Far from home on a strange planet, Miles must deal with the fact that somebody wants him dead.

Welcome to Reevis, a planet without days or nights where life is only possible under a vast pressure dome. It is on this airless wasteland that Miles finds himself caught up in a mystery involving a huge interplanetary corporation, a powerful man and his ambitious PA, and a beautiful young heiress who has been missing for years.

Crossing the galaxy in search of answers, Miles begins to uncover a web of deceit that stretches further than anyone could have imagined. With his life becoming at greater and greater risk, he realises that there is no one he can trust. Will he discover the truth and finally come to terms with his past? And, if he does, will it be enough to save his future…?

Review:

I found Ribbonworld completely engrossing. This wonderful book so captivated me that I read it in virtually one sitting, only disturbed by a few hours of sleep. The author has such an attentive eye for detail, I was immediately drawn into Miles Goram's world of intrigue and confusion on Reevis. The starkness of the icy side of the planet and the boiling lava of the hot side are so beautifully depicted I felt as though I was viewing them myself. Every journey that Miles took on the surface of the planet, whether in a vehicle or on foot, had me feeling I was driving over those rocks or kicking up that dust myself.

Miles is a well rounded character. He has a somewhat complex background which we learned a few things about. His keen journalistic instinct to sniff out a story is well described, as is his personality. I'm hoping to find out more about him in the next book, Jungle Green. There are a lot of other characters in Ribbonworld, all with distinct personalities and added value to the storyline, which remained clear throughout.

Without giving anything away, I really like the way the book addressed power struggles. Although it's set on a different planet to ours, the events could easily translate to anywhere, at any time. I did guess a couple of things that were revealed later in the book, but that isn't really important. What I value above all else is whether a book can grab my attention and keep hold of it throughout. If a book can transport me to another place (Reevis in this case!) and make me unaware of my surroundings, then it has done what a book is meant to do!

I'm really looking forward to reading all about Miles Goram's next adventures in Jungle Green