Review: Andorra Pett and the Oort Cloud Café by Richard Dee

Andorra Pett and the Oort Cloud Café - Richard Dee

Published by:  4Star Scifi (15th June 2017)

ISBN: 978-0995458161

Source: Purchased

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

Meet Andorra Pett; with her trusty sidekick, she’s taken over a derelict café. On a mining station. It just happens to be orbiting Saturn!

She’s hoping for a fresh start, away from all the drama of her old life. It’s a chance to relax and start again in a place where nobody knows anything about her or her past.

But the café holds a secret, and secrets have a habit of coming out; whether you want them to or not. And being accident prone doesn’t help. The more you try to pretend that you know what’s going on, the worse it gets.

Andorra’s plans for peace and quiet get lost amid the revelations and skulduggery and she soon realises that the fate of the whole station lies in her hapless hands.

In space, you can still trip over your feet; the question is, will you land upright?

Review:

When I met author Richard recently at a blogger & author get-together in Exeter, he described Andorra Pett as 'Agatha Raisin in space' and that is exactly how she comes across - quirky, funny, likeable, with a sensitive side and a heart of gold, a habit of getting into trouble and most of all a need to put her supersleuthing into action! She's adorable! Aside from Andorra, all the characters are interesting and add value to the story, from Andorra's sidekick, best friend Cy, to diner owner Munro.

The book is intelligently written, professionally produced, and is a joy to read. The well thought out plot flows well, grabbing your attention and holding on tightly. There are twists and turns galore that I'd not foreseen. There is lots going on but it's so well managed that it doesn't become confusing. The complex relationships between characters add further layers to the darkness, and I love that it's all based on a mining station orbiting Saturn...this book satisfies both the crime thriller fan and the sci-fi geek in me all at once, which is fantastic! I can't wait to read Andorra's next adventures in Andorra Pett on Mars.