Review: Together by Julie Cohen

Together - Julie Cohen

Published by: Orion (13 July 2017)

ISBN: 978-1409171744

Source:  Publisher

Rating: 4.5*

Synopsis:

Is this a great love story?

Or a story about great love?
You decide.

On a morning that seems just like any other, Robbie wakes in his bed, his wife Emily asleep beside him, as always. He rises and dresses, makes his coffee, feeds his dogs, just as he usually would. But then he leaves Emily a letter and does something that will break her heart. As the years go back all the way to 1962, Robbie's actions become clearer as we discover the story of a couple with a terrible secret - one they will do absolutely anything to protect.

Review:

Together is the hauntingly beautiful tale of Robbie and Emily and their love for one another. Told backwards, this heartbreaking and deeply moving story is original, gripping and all-encompassing. I really like that out begins when the couple are older and works its way back, so we get to find out what it was like when they first met. I became so engrossed in Robbie and Emily's story, I was only vaguely aware of my surroundings.

The couple's secret, when it is revealed, is quite shocking. If I hadn't already guessed what that secret was, this book would have got a big 5 stars from me. I usually read crime, so perhaps that stood me in good stead for detective duties in uncovering the secret here!

Although this is the first book by this author that I've read, it certainly won't be the last. I am really impressed with her ability to draw the reader in and hold their attention. Special thanks to the publishers for providing an ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.