Review: The Liar (#1) by Jennifer Wells

The Liar - Jennifer Wells

Published by: Aria (6 October 2016)

ISBN: 978-1786691071

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

It's 1935 and housewife Emma glimpses a face in a crowd – a little girl with a very unique birthmark. Transfixed by the sight of a stranger; Emma becomes convinced that the girl is her long-lost daughter taken from her at birth. There is only one problem: Emma's daughter is dead. So who is the stranger? The Liar follows Emma's journey as she tries to find out what really happened to her daughter - a journey that unearths secrets from the past and ends in obsession. . .

Review:

I'm so pleased I got the opportunity to meet the author and find out about this book, because if I'd seen it in a book shop I'd probably have walked straight past; it just doesn't look like the sort of book I'd usually enjoy. I'm not into historical or family saga or even romance particularly, which is where you'd find The Liar on Amazon. The back cover blurb hinted at the mystery inside and piqued my interest enough for me to buy a copy there and then. I think it would work really well if it was re-branded...I'd describe it as a psychological thriller, and a pretty damn good one at that!

This is a tale told from two perspectives - Emma's and Ruby's, the little girl who resembles Emma's daughter. The author's clever use of vocabulary and writing style drew me in from the outset and made the environment come alive. I really felt as though I was there beside Emma as  tried to find out what had happened to her daughter.

The complex characters are well written, and the relationships sensitively conveyed. I pretty much read this in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down! Just when i thought i had figured out what was going to happen next, along came another twist. What happened at the end is truly shocking! For a first novel, this is fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough! Jennifer Wells is one to watch!