Review: Caribbean Vegan by Taymer Mason

Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion - Taymer Mason

Published by: The Experiment (13 January 2017)

ISBN: 978-1615193608

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Description:

There's so much more to Caribbean cuisine than pineapples and coconuts. The real secret is in the herbs and spices: With the right sauce or seasoning blend, everyday ingredients transform into unforgettable Caribbean delights. Taymer Mason welcomes vegan home cooks to this rich tradition that combines African, French, Asian, and Indian influences with an unmistakable local flair. Covering a remarkable variety of tropical flavours and ingredients, Caribbean Vegan serves up 175 recipes--for every meal--that will spice up your diet like no other cookbook.

Review:

I'm always looking to try different meals and really liked the local food I tried on honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. Unfortunately, most of the catering in the hotel was towards the American/British diet but this book has given me the opportunity to try lots more delicious Caribbean food. Most of the ingredients were quite easy to source either in a supermarket, online or in a health food store, but it does seem to be aimed more towards the U.S. market than U.K.

There are options for every meal time, which is great if you want to try something a little different. The recipes are easy to follow and the author is clearly passionate about this type of food. Having the recipes for the seasonings at the beginning is brilliant, as they can be prepared in advance, thus avoiding being held up/loss of mess in the middle of a recipe. My only criticism is that more pictures would've been useful, if only to know if what I was doing looked right! Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a review copy in return for my honest opinion.