Review: Dark Water (Detective Erika Foster #3) by Robert Bryndza

Dark Water - Robert Bryndza

Published by: Bookouture (17 October 2016)

ISBN: 978-1786810694

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

When Detective Erika Foster receives a tip-off that key evidence for a major narcotics case was stashed in a disused quarry on the outskirts of London, she orders for it to be searched. From the thick sludge the drugs are recovered, but so is the skeleton of a young child.

The remains are quickly identified as seven-year-old Jessica Collins. The missing girl who made headline news twenty-six years ago.

As Erika tries to piece together new evidence with the old, she must dig deeper and find out more about the fractured Collins family and the original detective, Amanda Baker. A woman plagued by her failure to find Jessica. Erika soon realises this is going to be one of the most complex and demanding cases she has ever taken on.

Is the suspect someone close to home? Someone is keeping secrets. Someone who doesn’t want this case solved. And they’ll do anything to stop Erika from finding the truth.

Review:

When one of my favourite authors has a new book scheduled for release, I'm more excited than a kid in a candy store! So, I couldn't wait to get my hands on Detective Erika Foster's third outing, having been super impressed with books 1 and 2.

The action starts from the very first page, when we're drawn into the sinister goings on at the original crime scene, as the body of a young girl is dumped into the water. This scene was so well written, it really gave me the shivers!

Fast forward 26 years and Erika Foster wants to find out who killed Jessica Collins. That it's a tough cold case receiving media attention thrusts more focus onto Erika, piling on extra pressure. This story has so many twists and turns! The author is a masterful storyteller who is adept at leading you up the garden path and in the wrong direction! At one time or another I think I suspected almost everyone except Erika herself!

I really enjoyed catching up with Foster's colleagues,  Peterson and Moss, again, and getting to know Erika a bit more. Her sister, Lenka also makes an appearance, together with her children.

The only downside was that I seemed to read this book far too quickly, as I read it in one sitting! I cannot wait to meet Erika Foster again; I hope it isn't too long. Thanks to Bookouture, NetGalley and the author for the ARC in return for my honest review.