Review: Love You to Death (DS Ruby Preston #1) by Caroline Mitchell

Love You to Death: An Absolutely Gripping Thriller With a Killer Twist (Detective Ruby Preston Crime Thriller Series Book 1) - Caroline Mitchell

Published by: Bookouture (13 November 2016)

ISBN: 978-1786810854

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

Women who’ve had to give up children for adoption are being killed. A knock at their front door begins a nightmare from which they will never wake up.

Detective Ruby Preston and her team must hunt down a disturbed individual before someone else is taken. But just when they think they’ve made a breakthrough, Ruby receives a sinister email, and the case takes a terrifying personal twist.

When bodies start turning up, staged in perfect, domestic scenes, Ruby realises they’re chasing the most frightening serial killer she has ever faced.

Can Ruby catch the killer before they strike again? Or will her troubled past catch up with her first?

Review:

I'm a huge fan of the author's Detective Jennifer Knight series, and I'll admit I was a little surprised when I heard she was introducing a new character series.  I was expecting this book to be more or less the same as those in the Detective Knight series, but I couldn't have been more wrong! I absolutely love Ruby Preston! She's strong, feisty, with a personal interest in the case that she is determined to solve.

Her complicated relationship with ex Nathan is a highlight. Will her head rule her heart? The battle within her is brilliantly written, as are Ruby and Nathan as characters.

Protagonist Lucy is absolutely terrifying! I rarely get scared by anything I read but she gave me the shivers! Hats off to Caroline Mitchell for getting the detail in the characters just right. I really feel I got to know them and was watching the story unfold alongside them.

I struggle with insomnia, and actually read this from cover to cover in one sitting, completely oblivious to the outside world! I'm totally in awe of this author's massive talent and I'm so looking forward to DS Ruby Preston's next case.

Thanks to Bookouture, NetGalley and the author for the ARC in return for my honest review.