Review: Games People Play Owen Mullen

Games People Play:  A Gritty Gripping Scottish Crime Thriller (Charlie Cameron Series Book 1) - Owen Mullen

Self-published (15 February 2016)

ISBN: 978-1519126351

Source: Author provided review copy

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

On a warm summer’s evening thirteen month old Lily Hamilton is abducted from Ayr beach in Scotland, taken while her parents are yards away. Three days later, the distraught father turns up at Glasgow PI Charlie Cameron’s office and begs him to help. Mark Hamilton believes he knows who has stolen his daughter. And why. Against his better judgement Charlie gets involved in a case he would be better off without. But when a child’s body is discovered on Fenwick Moor, then another in St Andrews, the awful truth dawns: there is a serial killer out there whose work has gone undetected for decades. Baby Lily may be the latest victim of a madman. For Charlie it’s too late, he can’t let go. His demons won’t let him. The stunning first novel in a gripping mystery series. Games People Play will have you guessing to the very last line.

Review:

While I do read a lot of crime thrillers, they tend to mainly be police procedurals, so getting to know Charlie Cameron, P.I., was a real treat. He's a well written character who I warmed to from the beginning. He throws himself into the case like a man possessed, determined to find out what happened to Lily. The twisting tale that ensues is gripping. I found it really hard to put down, I was desperate to find out what had happened, so I read through the night until I reached the conclusion. I'm so pleased I got the chance to read a review copy of Games People Play and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.