Review: A Cornish Christmas by Lily Graham

A Cornish Christmas: A cosy Christmas romance to curl up with by the fire - Lily Graham

Published by: Bookouture (28 September 2016)

ISBN: 978-1786810755

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 3*

Synopsis:

At last Ivy is looking forward to Christmas. She and her husband Stuart have moved to their perfect little cottage by the sea - a haven alongside the rugged cliffs that look out to the Atlantic Ocean. She’s pregnant with their much-longed for first baby and for the first time, since the death of her beloved mother, Ivy feels like things are going to be alright.

But there is trouble ahead. It soon emerges that Stuart has been keeping secrets from Ivy, and suddenly she misses her mum more than ever.

When Ivy stumbles across a letter from her mother hidden in an old writing desk, secrets from the past come hurtling into the present. But could her mother’s words help Ivy in her time of need? Ivy is about to discover that the future is full of unexpected surprises and Christmas at Sea Cottage promises to be one to remember.

Review:

With this book I was expecting a cosy, festive read with lots of detail about the gorgeous setting of Sea Cottage and the surrounding countryside and coast. What I actually got was something entirely different. This was originally entitled The Postcard, which is entirely more apt. Yes, the story takes place in Cornwall, and at Christmas, but neither of these have any great relevance on the main point of the story. It could be set anywhere in the world and at any time of year! That said...I did find Stuart's jam making an amusing aside, and I found both Stuart and Ivy interesting, well written and believable characters.

I enjoyed some aspects of the story more than others and I felt the ending was a little rushed, but I would read another book by this author. Thanks to Bookouture, NetGalley and the author for an ARC in return for my honest review.