Review: The Gift by Louise Jensen

The Gift: The gripping psychological thriller everyone is talking about - Louise Jensen

Publisher: Bookouture (15 Dec. 2016)

ISBN-13: 978-1786810977

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

Jenna is given another shot at life when she receives a donor heart from a girl called Callie. Eternally grateful to Callie and her family, Jenna gets closer to them, but she soon discovers that Callie’s perfect family is hiding some very dark secrets …

Callie’s parents are grieving, yet Jenna knows they’re only telling her half the story. Where is Callie’s sister Sophie? She’s been ‘abroad’ since her sister’s death but something about her absence doesn’t add up. And when Jenna meets Callie’s boyfriend Nathan, she makes a shocking discovery.

Jenna knows that Callie didn’t die in an accident. But how did she die? Jenna is determined to discover the truth but it could cost her everything; her loved ones, her sanity, even her life.

Review:

Although I initially found this book quite hard to get into, when Jenna began to see snippets of what she perceived to be Callie's memories, I started to get much more interested. I had heard of cellular memory before, but not seen it explored in any detail like this and I found it fascinating.

The story is different from other psychological thrillers as the subject matter starts from a very unusual place, which I liked, but I did find the storytelling somewhat repetitive. At first I really felt for Jenna, she seemed such a strong character. I started to find her a little irritating when she just couldn't resist poking her nose into every aspect of Callie's life, even though I would probably have done the exact same thing!

The last third of the book gets very dramatic and I found it difficult to put down, as unforseen secrets are uncovered and family members are found. I can't reveal whether the ending is a happy one for Jenna, but it's certainly heart-pounding!

Thanks to Bookouture, NetGalley and the author for the ARC in return for my honest review.