Review: The Taken by Casey Kelleher

The Taken: A Twisted, Gripping Crime Thriller - Not for the Faint-Hearted - Casey Kelleher

Published by: Bookouture (5 October 2016)

ISBN: 9781786810779

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

Saskia Frost’s world is blown apart when her dad dies. Without any family, she’s on her own now and up to her eyeballs in her father’s debts. He owed a lot of money to some very dangerous men – Joshua and Vincent Harper. Before long, aspiring ballerina Saskia finds herself lap-dancing in a London club to survive. A club run by the infamous Harper brothers. Saskia is now their property and they’re going to make her pay every penny back.

Teenager Lena Cona has fled a cruel and controlling marriage. She arrives in England with her newborn daughter, desperately relying on strangers for help. But she soon learns that not everyone can be trusted as she finds herself caught in the clutches of Colin Jefferies, a twisted individual obsessed with his ‘perfect dollies’. But when the sickening truth behind them is revealed, Lena is forced to fight for her life - and her baby’s.

When their worlds collide, Lena and Saskia form an unlikely friendship. But with the terrifying Harper brothers on their tail, as well as Lena’s vengeful and violent husband, can they escape with their lives?

Review:

The Taken is a gripping psychological thriller that grabbed my attention from the outset. With an emotive plot involving kidnapping and forced marriage, I found it both shocking and compulsive reading, unable to tear my eyes from the page. Having said that, I found some things predictable.

There are enough twists and turns to hold the reader's interest, and the sub-plots with Vincent & Joshua add another dimension to this tale. I'd like to thank Bookouture.and NetGalley for providing me with a review copy, in return for my honest revIew.