Review: The Killer Inside (DS Jessica Daniel #1) by Kerry Wilkinson

The Killer Inside: A gripping serial killer thriller (Detective Jessica Daniel thriller series Book 1) - Kerry Wilkinson

Published by: Bookouture (September 9 2016)

ISBN: 9781786810533

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

When the body of a woman is found in a locked house, Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel is called in to investigate a seemingly impossible murder.

Faced with little in the way of leads and a journalist who seems to know more than she does, Jessica is under intense pressure to solve the case fast.

When a second body is discovered bearing the same hallmarks of the first victim, the investigation suddenly escalates. Jessica is on the hunt for a serial killer who willstrike again. Can she get to him before the body count rises? And is she prepared to put her own life in terrible danger to catch the murderer?

Review:

I requested this from NetGalley by mistake, eagerly clicking as soon as I saw the author's name and totally missing that it was US only. The Killer Inside was published in the UK as Locked In

I really like Jessica Daniel as a character. She's not one of those completely ballsy female cops who can do it all with an a for attitude. Having said , she is a little bit inclined to wander in without calling for backup, but she's inexperienced and a little immature. I'm hoping she will grow in future books.

In terms of plot, there were some twists and turns, some red herrings, but I did guess the killer's identity fairly early on.

Thanks to Kerry Wilkinson, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing a review copy.