Review: The Forgotten Woman by Angela Marsons

The Forgotten Woman - Angela Marsons

Published by: Bookouture (11th July 2016)

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

Two ordinary women. Two damaged lives. One friendship that would save them both
Kit Mason has lived a life of unimaginable pain. An ex-prostitute, she has fled the clutches of an abusive pimp and now finds herself living hand to mouth in a new city, without anyone to help her.

Frances Thornton seems to be living the perfect life. A lawyer from a privileged background, her perfect façade hides the painful secrets that still haunt her.

Brought together by their attempts to conquer their addictions in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, the two women strike up an unlikely friendship.

But can they find strength in each other – or will the demons of their past catch up with them?

Review:

I was intrigued by this change in genre from crime thriller author Angela Marsons. The Forgotten Woman tells the story of the chance meeting of Fran and Kit, and their battles to overcome their demons.

While I didn't immediately identify with either of the main characters, I could appreciate that they were well written. The backgrounds of the characters was intriguing, particularly Fran's. It felt like the author had drawn on personal experience, or carried out extensive research. Because of this, it was easy to picture the scene playing out in front of me.

I didn't think this was as good as the author's crime thriller series, but that is my preferred genre.

Special thanks to Kitty French and Bookouture for providing a review copy, via NetGalley.