Review: Remember My Name by Abbey Clancy

REMEMBER MY NAME- HB - ABBEY CLANCY

Published by: Mira UK (19th May 2016)

ISBN: 9781848454545

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

From the moment Liverpool teenager Jess stars in the school musical, she knows that she’s GOT to be a star. Fast forward a few years and the closest the now 22 year old Jessica has got to stardom is as a children’s entertainer – which is where she meets Jack, uncle to the spoiled 5 year old birthday princess, who spots Jessica’s talent and offers her a job with a record label. But that means that she’ll have to leave her family and her home and move to London – where she quickly finds that the streets aren’t quite paved with gold. And as she spends her days making tea for bitchy PR girls and her nights in a mouldy studio flat, Jessica wonders if leaving Liverpool for London has been a terrible mistake.

Attending an industry party – unfortunately only to serve canapes – Jessica’s fortunes suddenly change when Vogue, the singer due to perform at the event drops out. Before she knows it, Jessica volunteers to stand in and takes centre stage. After a dazzling performance, she is surrounded by people wondering who this amazing new talent is. What’s more, her star turn has been captured by the press and she has become an overnight sensation.

Plunged into the crazy world of glitz and glamour, Jessica’s life is transformed but as her star rises, she loses touch with her roots. Jessica’s teenage dreams of stardom may have come true, but at what cost?

Review:

Remember My Name is a delightful romp through the life of Jessy; an ordinary young woman quickly catapulted into the guise of Jessika, the newest pop star on the planet, simply by being in the right place at the right time. Oh yeah, and by having a rather fab voice too! We follow Jessy as she tries to adapt to the demands of her new life and still find time for her family, friends and herself. Time she just doesn't seem to have enough of...

I suspect that there are more than a few parallels with the author's personal experiences here. The story seems very real and the emotions raw. The clever use of description makes it impossible not to feel for Jessy and the impossible situation she finds herself in. Having said that, this is certainly not a literary read, but it isn't marketed as such. I think it would greatly appeal to the YA/NA market.

The characters are easy to relate to - Jessy herself is likeable and believable, and other characters like Jessy's sister Becky and fellow singer Vogue are instantly likeable. Others, such as Patty, are slow burners and take a while to get to know. This book definitely puts you through the emotional wringer. I laughed out loud, snorted, gasped, shouted, and appeared to have something in my eye...

Special thanks to Mira UK and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review.