Review: Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan

Dear Amy - Helen Callaghan

Published by: Penguin UK - Michael Joseph (16th June 2016)

ISBN: 9780718183752

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

Margot Lewis is the agony aunt for The Cambridge Examiner. Her advice column, Dear Amy, gets all kinds of letters - but none like the one she's just received:

'Dear Amy,
I don't know where I am. I've been kidnapped and am being held prisoner by a strange man. I'm afraid he'll kill me.
Please help me soon,
Bethan Avery'

Bethan Avery has been missing for years. This is surely some cruel hoax. But, as more letters arrive, they contain information that was never made public. How is this happening? Answering this question will cost Margot everything . . .

Review:

Dear Amy is a fast-paced debut psychological thriller, with a surprising premise that will keep you guessing as you try to fit all the pieces of the story together.

Margot is an ordinary schoolteacher who also works under the guise of agony aunt Amy. I found her to be quite difficult to get to know at first, but with the disappearance of one of her class of children, Katie Browne, Margot became so driven and determined to find the person responsible and save Katie, I found myself liking her more and I was really rooting for her, and for Katie.

The story is narrated from the different perspectives of the main characters, and some of it is hard reading due to the subject matter. It is intelligently and cleverly written, with the dropping of little tidbits of information along the way that leave you wondering where on earth they fit in to the whole picture. This really made me think, and I adore this in a book.

As Margot tries to work out whether Bethan Avery is still alive, and if so, who she is, the twists and turns get faster and tighter; I had no choice but to hold on tight as I turned the pages, unable to stop reading until I'd reached the exciting conclusion....

I'd recommend Dear Amy to fans of psychological thrillers such as You Sent Me A Letter.  It's an impressive, engaging read that's full of surprises. I'd like to thank Michael Joseph for providing an advance reader's copy, via NetGalley.