Review: Behind Dead Eyes by Howard Linskey

Behind Dead Eyes - Howard Linskey

Published by: Penguin UK - Michael Joseph (28th June 2016)

ISBN: 9780718180348

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:
A MYSTERY VICTIM

A corpse is found: its identity extinguished in the most shocking manner imaginable.
Detective Ian Bradshaw can't catch the killer if no one can ID the victim. Out there, somewhere, a missing young woman may hold the answers.

A SECRET WEB

Journalist Helen Norton is about to uncover a massive criminal conspiracy. She just needs the final piece of the puzzle. Soon, she will learn the price of the truth.

AN 'INNOCENT' KILLER

True-crime writer Tom Carney receives letters from a convicted murderer who insists he is innocent. His argument is persuasive - but psychopaths are often said to be charming...

WHAT IS THE DARK THREAD RUNNING THROUGH THESE CRIMES?

Review:
This is the second book to feature Detective Ian Bradshaw, Helen Norton and Tom Carney, the first being No Name Lane. I've really enjoyed meeting these three characters again; it felt like catching up with friends that I'd not seen for a while, which is something I absolutely love, both in books and the real world!  This reads well as a stand alone, but there is a bit of background information that comes from the first book, so I'd really recommend reading No Name Lane first, to get the most out of Behind Dead Eyes.

The case itself is horrifying, author Howard Linskey doesn't hold back on any of the gruesome details. As each of the main characters work from their own perspective, the individual threads begin to weave together to form a tangled, multi-layered means of attacking the case in front of them. I found this approach held my interest well. The ending of the book was impressive too; there were so many threads I was concerned the ending would be rather messy, but these were all tied nicely together.

Behind Dead Eyes is intelligently written and is a good example of great British crime writing. I'll be eagerly awaiting the third and final outing for Ian, Helen and Tom. I can barely wait!

Special thanks to the author and publisher for providing an ARC via Netgalley, in exchange for my honest review.