Blog Tour for The Killing Files (The Project Trilogy #2) by Nikki Owen - my review

Published by: Harlequin (UK) Mira (2nd June 2016)

ISBN: 9781848454415

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 5*

Description:

No matter how fast you run, the past always catches up with you.

‘Powerful and gripping’ – Kimberly Chambers

‘A gripping and tense thriller’ – Heat

‘A must have’ – Sunday Express

Dr Maria Martinez is out of prison and on the run.

Her mission? To get back to the safety of her family.

Little does she know that this might be the most dangerous place of all…

Don’t miss the second in Nikki Owen’s electrifying Project trilogy, perfect for fans of Nicci French and Charles Cumming.

Review:

Ever since I read Subject 375 (originally The Spider in the Corner of the Room), the first book in the Project Trilogy, I've been wondering what would happen to Dr Maria Martinez next. This second instalment picks up the story as Maria is on the run and desperately trying to find her way back to her family, believing this is the safest place for her.  I easily got caught up in the drama from the outset and found it so difficult to put this book down. I read well into the night until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and my kindle smacked me in the face as I dropped off to sleep.

As with the first book in the series, The Killing Files is captivating. Nikki Owen's attention to detail is fantastic, and her writing intelligent. There is so much thought given to every aspect of the story, particularly Maria's aspergers. I'd recommend reading this series in order as some points may not resonate as well without doing so.

The story flips between the present and the past and answers some questions from the first book. The twists and turns are unexpected, and the conclusion left me wishing I could read the next instalment straight away. Fans of mysteries and thrillers should find the Project Trilogy gives them much to get their teeth into.

Special thanks to Harlequin (UK) Mira, Nikki Owen and Netgalley for providing an ARC in return for my honest review.

About the author:

Nikki Owen is an award-winning writer and columnist. Previously, Nikki was a marketing consultant and University teaching fellow before turning to writing full time. As part of her degree, she studied at the acclaimed University of Salamanca - the same city where her protagonist of Subject 375 (previously published as The Spider in the Corner of the Room) Dr Maria Martinez, hails from.

Part one in the Project trilogy, Subject 375 is Nikki's debut international novel and will be published in several languages around the world. In 2014, the trilogy was optioned by NBC Universal Television for a one-hour returnable TV series.

Catch up with the rest of the blog tour here-