Review: The Reboot with Joe Juice Diet Cookbook by Joe Cross

The Reboot with Joe Juice Diet Cookbook: Juice, Smoothie, and Plant-powered Recipes Inspired by the Hit Documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead - Joe Cross

Published by: Greenleaf Book Group

ISBN: 9781626341371

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:
Since releasing his documentary, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, in 2010--which became a worldwide sensation--Joe Cross has become a tireless advocate for the power of juicing. The Reboot with Joe Juice Diet brings us his story of overcoming obesity, poor health, and bad habits and presents success stories from others whose lives he has touched.

Cross--who lost a hundred pounds and discontinued all his medications by following his own plan--walks the reader through his life before juicing, candidly sharing his self-defeating attitude toward food and fitness.

The Reboot with Joe Juice Diet Cookbook, the sequel to The Reboot with Joe Juice Diet, provides readers with more plant-powered recipes that they can use with the Reboot Juice Diet plans or any time for a healthy meal along with juicing and cooking information and inspiration.

Review:
This cookbook is one of the most comprehensive of its kind that I've come across. The sheer attention to detail is superb - alongside each recipe for a juice, smoothie, salad, soup or cooked meal is the nutritional breakdown and a list of medical conditions that may be helped. There are instructions on how to make a juice, including specific guidance on how to juice just about every fruit and vegetable known to man. There are also details on the best way to store juices, buying produce and how to prepare/cook it, and suitable individual fruits/vegetables to swap. The juices are colour-coded, making it effortless to substitute one for the other, and there is even a list of suggestions on how to use pulp! Joe Cross really has thought of EVERYTHING! I've been juicing for years and still managed to pick up quite a lot of information. The photos of the juices and meals are clear, giving a comprehensible idea of how the finished recipe should look; judging by my efforts, the photos are pretty true to life.

At the back of the book there are some great resources to point you in the right direction post-Reboot. Resources include a list of cookbooks by people such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Dr Joel Fuhrman. There is even some information for your doctor, together with a link to a downloadable PDF which can be printed out, should you want to give your doctor a hard copy. I think this is a really good idea, and something I've not seen in any other similar book (and I've seen quite a lot!). There is also some medical information, and a background on Joe Cross too. The resources section is a nice touch and rounds off this cookbook very nicely.

I think this would be an ideal book for those looking to get into juicing, whether to lose weight or improve their health, or both. It contains just about everything you need, from straightforward instructions on how to make a juice, to medical information, and everything in between. The recipes are yummy too!