Blog tour for Murder Ring (DI Geraldine Steel #8) by Leigh Russell

Murder Ring (DI Geraldine Steel) - Leigh Russell

Publisher:  No Exit Press (26th May 2016)

ISBN: 978-1843446774

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

'Hearing footsteps pounding along the street behind him he glanced back, fleetingly worried, then laughed because the street was deserted. All the same, he felt uneasy. Everything looked different in the dark.

Then he heard more footsteps approaching, and a hoarse voice called out. Turning his head, he made out a figure hovering in the shadows and as it raised one arm, the barrel of a gun glinted in the moonlight…'

The dead body of unassuming David Lester is discovered in a dark side-street, and DI Geraldine Steel is plunged into another murder investigation. The clues mount up along with the suspects, but with the death of another man in inexplicable circumstances, the case becomes increasingly complex. As Geraldine investigates the seemingly unrelated crimes, she makes a shocking discovery about her birth mother.

Review:

Special thanks to No Exit Press and Leigh Russell for sending me an ARC of Murder Ring, in exchange for my honest review.

I left it quite late in the day to start reading Geraldine Steel's eighth case, and have just this minute finished it, in the early hours of the very day of my turn on the blog tour! I had been slightly concerned that I wouldn't finish it in time, but I found the story so compelling that  I seemed to just fly through through it!

The case is intriguing, with two seemingly unconnected murder victims and a distinct lack of witnesses or, indeed, credible suspects. Geraldine is keen to crack her first case under her new DCI, and is trying to deal with some very personal issues at the same time. This would be difficult for the best of us to juggle, let alone if, like Geraldine, we were determined to keep our private life just that. Geraldine is such a great character, she is utterly believable as well as likeable, and I really enjoyed finding out a bit more about her life outside of work.

There are plenty of twists in the case, and a few red herrings along the way. Leigh Russell's intelligent writing is gripping and really draws your attention. She is an author who truly makes you feel as though you're there, alongside the characters.

I've previously read a few books by the same author, but this has been my favourite so far. It's encouraged me to start the Geraldine Steel series from the beginning. Even though each can be read as a stand alone case, I'd really like to rediscover more about Geraldine, from the beginning.

Buy a copy of The Murder Ring here

Catch up with the rest of the blog tour on these brilliant blogs -