Review: Summer at Rose Island by Holly Martin

Summer at Rose Island: A perfect feel good summer romance (White Cliff Bay Book 3) - Holly Martin

Published by: Bookouture (13th May 2016)

ISBN: 9781786810120

Source: ARC via NetGalley

Rating: 4.5*

Synopsis:

Darcy Davenport is ready for a fresh start. Determined to leave a string of disastrous jobs and relationships behind her, she can’t wait to explore White Cliff Bay and meet the locals.

When Darcy swims in the crystal clear waters of the bay, she discovers the charming Rose Island Lighthouse. But it’s not just the beautiful building that she finds so intriguing…

Riley Eddison doesn’t want change. Desperate to escape the memories of his past, he lives a life of solitude in the lighthouse. Yet he can’t help but notice the gorgeous woman who swims out to his island one day.

Darcy is drawn to the mysterious and sexy Riley, but when it seems the town is trying to demolish his home, she soon finds herself having to pick sides.

She’s fallen in love with White Cliff Bay. But is that all Darcy’s fallen for?

Review:

Summer at Rose Island is Holly Martin's third novel to feature the residents of White Cliff Bay (1. Christmas at Lilac Cottage, 2. Snowflakes on Silver Cove) and the first summer read set in the gorgeous coastal town.

Darcy is a disaster on two legs, according to her disappointed parents. She has yet to succeed in her professional or private life and is keen to change her judgmental parents' attitude. The way Darcy describes her relationship with her parents is so sad and shows a real fragility to her that is so endearing.

Riley is mysterious and grumpy, at times downright rude. Yet Darcy is drawn to him like a moth to a flame, no matter how many times she tells herself she isn't! Their interactions are dramatic, comical and adorable all at the same time, thanks to Holly Martin's seemingly effortless storytelling. She has the knack of bringing the town and characters to life, making you feel like you're there yourself. Like Darcy, I fell in love with White Cliff Bay.

Summer at Rose Island is heartwarming and full of feel good moments. It's also funny, making me laugh out loud a few times. That we all know how the story concludes is something frowned upon in most other genes, but sometimes we all need that guaranteed happy ending to give us a little lift. Well done Holly Martin!

Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC, in exchange for my honest review.