Review: Kitty's Countryside Dream by Christie Barlow

Kitty's Countryside Dream - Christie Barlow

Publisher: Bookouture (25th February 2016)

ISBN-13: 978-1910751657

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 3.5*

Synopsis:

New home. New life. New beginning. It’s time for Kitty Lewis to start living again.

When Kitty inherits Bluebell Lodge from her grandmother, a farm in the beautiful Staffordshire countryside, it’s time for fresh air and a fresh start. Up to her elbows in chickens and ponies, Kitty soon realises there’s an awful lot to learn about farming. Still, at least the locals seem friendly, not least her handsome neighbour Tom.

But just as Kitty is beginning to find her feet, the discovery of a long-hidden diary,at the farm, by a mysterious character called Violet changes everything. Who is Violet and what is her message for Kitty? As Kitty fills in the lost pieces of her family jigsaw and discovers some shocking revelations, will her countryside dream fall to pieces? When it comes to life in the country, nothing is ever quite as it seems...

Review:

Kitty is a likeable, believable character that many women will identify with and/or feel great empathy for. She's tough yet vulnerable, something hugely appealing in a female lead - we all like feisty females but they need to have a softer side, and that edge of vulnerability adds another layer to her character.

The other major players - Tom, Jeannie, Lucinda and Robin, each bring something to enrich this story - they're interesting without overshadowing Kitty. They all have their own story to tell, and each individual adds another facet to this book.

The plot is entertaining - as Kitty throws herself into her new lifestyle and all that it entails, there are some lovely touches of humour that made me smile. There is a lot of detail, so it's easy to picture the scene . Each chapter seems to end with a bit of intrigue, so I found myself playing the 'one more chapter' game late at night!

It seemed obvious to me that this story would have the ending it did, so it's predictable in the way that a lot of romantic chick-lit is, but that's part and parcel of the genre, and there are definitely more than a few red herrings here to throw you off the scent.

Heartwarming with a touch of humour, Kitty's Countryside Dream is the perfect book to curl up with on a rainy afternoon; it's guaranteed to lift your spirits and give you that feel good factor.