Review: The Brain Fog Fix by Dr. Mike Dow

The Brain Fog Fix: Reclaim Your Focus, Memory, and Joy in Just 3 Weeks - Mike Dow

Publisher: Hay House (15th September 2015)

ISBN: 9781401946470

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 4*

Description:

A new epidemic is sweeping the country. Some people call it “ADHD,” “scatter brain,” or “brain fog.” And some people simply say they “just don't feel like themselves”—and haven't for a long time.

People are thinking and feeling worse than ever. Why? Because our brains are not getting the support they need to produce the essential brain chemicals that keep us energized, calm, focused, and inspired. In fact, if you look at the way that most of us live, it's almost as though we had chosen a lifestyle deliberately intended to undermine our brain chemistry.

Fortunately, there is a solution. The Brain Fog Fix is a three-week program designed to help you naturally restore three of your brain's most crucial chemicals: serotonin, dopamine, and cortisol. Rebalancing these three brain chemicals will, in turn, enable the rest of your brain's chemistry to reach optimal levels. You will find yourself thinking more clearly, remembering more accurately, learning more quickly, and unleashing the floodgates of your creativity. You will also find yourself feeling more optimistic, calm, energized, connected, and inspired.

The good news is that this is easier than you think. Instead of trying to ambitiously overhaul one aspect of your life entirely with some difficult-to-maintain resolution, begin by making small and achievable changes in many different areas of your life.

Review:

This book was brought to my attention by my friend Jules, who has ME/CFS and found it useful. As I have fibromyalgia, I also suffer with dreadful brain fog on a daily basis.

Most of the principles discussed here are already known to me, if not already implemented. I have a fairly healthy diet and know I feel poorly if I eat food containing gluten, dairy and/or sugar, and I limit my use of my smartphone due to the effects of blue screen, and my tablet has a handy blue screen filter. Insomnia is a symptom of my health condition, and I find it very difficult to get to sleep, despite practical methods and prescribed medication. Exercise is the thing I really do struggle with, as the constant pain in all areas of my body means moving causes severe discomfort.

The three week programme detailed here seems to cover these issues, plus meditation, and could be a really useful way for someone suffering from brain fog give themselves the chance to see if it works for them. Whatever is the root cause of that feeling, trying the principles of the programme could really improve their quality of life.