Review: Journey to Death (A Lucy Hall Mystery) by Leigh Russell

Journey to Death (A Lucy Hall Mystery) - Leigh Russell

Publisher: Thomas & Mercer (9 Feb. 2016)

ISBN: 978-1503951921

Source: ARC via publisher

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

Lucy Hall arrives in the Seychelles determined to leave her worries behind. The tropical paradise looks sun-soaked and picture-perfect—but as Lucy soon discovers, appearances can be very deceptive. A deadly secret lurks in the island’s history, buried deep but not forgotten. And it is about to come to light.

As black clouds begin to gather over what promised to be a relaxing family break, Lucy realises that her father stands in the eye of the coming storm. A shadow from his past is threatening to destroy all that he holds dear—including the lives of his loved ones.

A dark truth is about to explode into their lives, and that truth is going to hit them right between the eyes.

Review:

I've previously read a few of Leigh Russell's Geraldine Steel books and enjoyed them, so it was great to get the chance to read her first Lucy Hall novel.

I'm not sure about Lucy as a character; I haven't really warmed to her, but she seems quite mature for her age and obviously has an inquisitive nature. I get the feeling she may be a slow burner.

The way the story is told, with details of the past adding to the slow building, makes for compulsive reading. Some parts did feel a little repetitive and I found myself a bit distracted. Having said that, the Seychelles setting is idyllic, the author's description of the place is fantastic, particularly of the beaches and the fragrant frangipani - I could almost smell the flowers! It's not a place I had really considered visiting, but reading Journey to Death may just have changed my mind.

Thanks to Thomas & Mercer for providing an ARC in return for my honest review.