Review: The Darkest Secret by Alex Marwood

The Darkest Secret - Alex Marwood

Published by: Little, Brown Book Group (7th January 2016)

ISBN: 9780751550702

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

Apologies for the general email, but I desperately need your help.

My goddaughter, Coco Jackson, disappeared from her family's holiday home in Bournemouth on the night of Sunday/Monday August 29/30th, the bank holiday weekend just gone. Coco is three years old.

When identical twin Coco goes missing during a family celebration, there is a media frenzy. Her parents are rich and influential, as are the friends they were with at their holiday home by the sea.

But what really happened to Coco?

Over two intense weekends - the first when Coco goes missing and the second twelve years later at the funeral of her father - the darkest of secrets will gradually be revealed...

Review:

WOW! I am literally sitting here with my mouth open in utter shock at the unforseen conclusion to this book. More often than not, I can see what's going to happen in a book, but definitely not this time - what a thunderbolt!

If I can get over the shock, I'll attempt to give The Darkest Secret a proper review...

The characters are all complex and intertwined, there's plenty of familial and other ties to get your head around, but not so many characters that you lose track of who's who.

Each chapter is told from the perspective of one of the characters, and there are flashbacks which really add to the telling of the events. This novel is intelligently written with meticulous attention to detail, each layer grows the suspense and adds another dimension to the tangled web. I swear at some points I forgot to breathe.

I defy anyone not to enjoy this book, it is simply outstanding.