Review: From The Mouths of Dogs - What Our Pets Teach us About Life, Death and Being Human by B.J. Hollars

From the Mouths of Dogs: What Our Pets Teach Us about Life, Death, and Being Human - B.J. Hollars

Publisher: University of Nebraska Press (30 November 2015)

ISBN: 978-0803277298

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

What is it that dogs have done to earn the title of “man’s best friend”? And more broadly, how have all of our furry, feathered, and four-legged brethren managed to enrich our lives? Why do we love them? What can we learn from them? And why is it so difficult to say good-bye? Join B.J. Hollars as he attempts to find out—beginning with an ancient dog cemetery in Ashkelon, Israel, and moving to the present day.

Hollars’s firsthand reports recount a range of stories: the arduous existence of a shelter officer, a woman’s relentless attempt to found a senior-dog adoption facility, a family’s struggle to create a one-of-a-kind orthotic for its bulldog, and the particular bond between a blind woman and her Seeing Eye dog. The book culminates with Hollars’s own cross-country journey to Hartsdale Pet Cemetery—the country’s largest and oldest pet cemetery—to begin the long-overdue process of laying his own childhood dog to rest.

Through these stories, Hollars reveals much about our pets but even more about the humans who share their lives, providing a much-needed reminder that the world would be a better place if we took a few cues from man’s best friend.

Review:

This is a fascinating collection of first hand accounts about the relationship that man has with dog - various people and various dogs, the string bonds that are forged and the complex relationships that we have with our four legged friends.

This book is heartwarming and, for the most part, made me (an ardent dog lover) smile and even shed a few tears. I find animal cruelty of any kind abominable, and it affects me so much more if a dog is involved. Dogs can suffer dreadful cruelty at the hands of man and yet can learn to trust again - I think humans could do with thinking a bit more like dogs!

I'd recommend this to all dog lovers and would like to thank the publisher for being kind enough to send me a digital copy, via NetGalley, in return for an honest review.