Review: Tenacity by J.S. Law

Tenacity - J. S. Law

Publisher: Headline (30 July 2015)

ISBN: 978-1472227881

Source: Author provided review copy

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

A sailor hangs himself on board a naval submarine. Although ruled a suicide Lieutenant Danielle Lewis, the Navy's finest Special Branch investigator, knows the sailor's wife was found brutally murdered only days before.

Now Dan must enter the cramped confines of HMS Tenacity to interrogate the tight-knit, male crew and determine if there's a link.

Standing alone in the face of extreme hostility and with a possible killer on board, Dan soon realises that she may have to choose between the truth and her own survival.

Two hundred metres below the surface,
she will have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

The pressure is rising and Dan's time is running out...

Review:

I thoroughly enjoyed this debut from James Law, the first to feature Lieutenant Danielle Lewis. It's a fast paced thriller with plenty of suspense and a plethora of suspects.

We get to know some of Danielle Lewis's past as told in flashbacks of a few years before present events. Dan, as she likes to be known, is the underdog from the start, as the only woman among the hostile ship's company. Her vulnerability and her strength of character in adversity is clear, and I found her a likeable and believable character.

It is evident from the beginning of this novel that the author clearly knows his way around a submarine, drawing from his vast experience in the Royal Navy. The depth of detail here is extensive, making it easier to picture the scenes than I'd first anticipated. Combined with the author's flair for storytelling, this painstaking attention to specifics makes Tenacity stand out from the crowd. My first read of 2016 will certainly not be my last from this promising new writer.