Review: Try not to Breathe by Holly Seddon

Try Not to Breathe: A Novel - Holly Seddon

Publisher: Corvus (7th January 2016)

ISBN: 978-1782396680

Source: Real Readers

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

Alex is sinking. Slowly but surely, she's cut herself off from everything but her one true love - drink. Until she's forced to write a piece about a coma ward, where she meets Amy.

Amy is lost. When she was fifteen, she was attacked and left for dead in a park not far from her house. Her attacker was never found. Since then, she has drifted in a lonely, timeless place. She's as good as dead, but not even her doctors are sure how much she understands.

Alex and Amy grew up in the same suburbs, played the same music, flirted with the same boys. And as Alex begins to investigate the attack, she opens the door to the same danger that has left Amy in a coma...

Review:

This story is told from various perspectives including Alex's; Amy's, via her thoughts; Jacob, Amy's boyfriend at the time of the attack. It's clear whose point of view each chapter is based on, so the story doesn't become muddled - a good thing as there are intricate details provided by each person involved.

The main characters are complex and engrossing, leaving me desperate to find out more about what had happened to them, and frantic to discover the identity of Amy's attacker. There are many twists and turns and suspicion is aimed at numerous characters along the way. Alex and Amy are fantastic characters and their unique relationship is extraordinary and gripping to read.

I was unable to put this book down until I'd reached the unforseen, shocking climax and discovered the identity of the attacker. A thrilling read, I'd recommend Try Not to Breathe to fans of psychological suspense such as The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl.

This is the second 5* publication I've read from Corvus this week, so I'll definitely be finding out more about their authors and forthcoming releases.