Review: You Sent me a Letter by Lucy Dawson

You Sent Me a Letter - Lucy Dawson

Publisher: Corvus (3rd March 2016)

ISBN: 978-1782396222

Source: Real Readers

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

At 2 a.m. on the morning of her fortieth birthday, Sophie wakes to find an intruder in her bedroom. The stranger hands Sophie a letter and issues an threat: open the letter at her party that evening, in front of family and friends, at exactly 8 p.m., or those she loves will be in grave danger.

What can the letter possibly contain?

This will be no ordinary party; Sophie is not the only person keeping a secret about the evening ahead. When the clock strikes eight, the course of several people's lives will be altered for ever.

Review:

Wow! This is such a compelling read, I simply couldn't put it down. It's a gripping psychological thriller with more twists and turns than your average rollercoaster.

Author Lucy Dawson builds the tension and keeps you guessing with every chapter of her cleverly crafted tale, until it reaches boiling point. I was frantically turning the pages by this point, desperate to find out who was behind Sophie receiving the letter that could seal her fate and that of several others.

Central character Sophie is well written and multi-layered, and the supporting characters are complex and interesting. Their interaction is skilfully written, so that almost everyone is under suspicion at least some of the time.

A wonderfully tense, engrossing novel that I have no hesitation in wholeheartedly recommending.