Review: Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica

Pretty Baby - Mary Kubica

Published by: Mira (28th July 2015)

ISBN: 978-1848453968

Source: Publisher provided review copy

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

A chance encounter

She sees the teenage girl on the train platform, standing in the pouring rain, clutching an infant in her arms. She boards a train and is whisked away. But she can't get the girl out of her head…

An act of kindness

Heidi has always been charitable but her family are horrified when she returns home with a young woman named Willow and her baby in tow. Dishevelled and homeless, this girl could be a criminal - or worse. But despite the family's objections, Heidi offers them refuge.

A tangled web of lies

As Willow begins to get back on her feet, disturbing clues into her past starts to emerge. Now Heidi must question if her motives for helping the stranger are unselfish or rooted in her own failures.

Review:

Pretty Baby is unsettling, uncomfortable, yet strangely compelling. I read most of it over the course of a night (I have insomnia) as I needed to find out what happened next. Although the dramas appear relatively minor at first glance, there is a lot of emotional shrapnel around both Heidi and Willow. This is a book that really gets you thinking!

I enjoyed Pretty Baby as much as Kubica's debut, The Good Girl.