Review: The Wrong Knickers by Bryony Gordon

The Wrong Knickers - A Decade of Chaos - Bryony Gordon

Published by: Headline (January 1st 2015)

ISBN: 978-1472210142

Source: review copy provided by publisher

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

Bryony Gordon survived her adolescence by dreaming about the life she'd have in her twenties: the perfect job; the lovely flat; the amazing boyfriend. The reality was something of a shock. Her Telegraph column was a diary of her daily screw-ups; she lived in a series of squalid shoe boxes; and her most meaningful relationship of the entire decade was with a Marlboro Light. Here in the Sunday Times bestselling THE WRONG KNICKERS Bryony busts open the glamorized myth of what it means to be a young (perpetually) single girl about London town, and shares the horrible and hilarious truth. The truth about picking up a colleague at the STI clinic; sinking into debt to fund a varied diet of wine, crisps and vodka; and how it feels when your dream man turns out to be a one night stand who hands you someone else's knickers in the morning. Bryony's wonderfully ridiculous and ultimately redemptive story is essential reading for everyone whose 'best years' weren't quite what they were expecting...

Review:

The Wrong Knickers is fabulously funny, cunningly cringeworthy and surprisingly sad. A Bridget Jones for the new generation, Bryony Gordon recounts her life as a single twenty-something in all its embarrassing glory. I laughed out loud and spat out my tea in places, shook my head in disbelief in others, but I found it hard to put down.