Review: No other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome #2) by Sarah Hilary

No Other Darkness - Sarah Hilary

Publication Date: 23rd April 2015

Publisher: Headline

ISBN: 978147220772 (trade paperback)

Source: Publisher/Netgalley

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:
Two young boys.
Trapped underground in a bunker.
Unable to understand why they are there.
Desperate for someone to find them.
Slowly realising that no-one will...

Five years later the boys' bodies are found and the most difficult case of DI Marnie Rome's career begins.
Her only focus is the boys. She had to find out who they are and what happened to them.
For Marnie, there is no other darkness than this...

Review:
Wow, just wow!  When I read Someone Else's Skin last year and was so impressed by Sarah Hilary's slick and stylish debut that I named it my top read of 2014, I was sure that I'd not find a novel to top it. For once, I'm really pleased to admit I was wrong, and how!

This second book to feature DI Marnie Rome is breathtaking. Intelligently written over two time periods which the brilliantly constructed prose allows the reader to move seamlessly between, this is crime thriller writing at its very very best.

DI Rome is tenacious and  utterly readable with a vulnerability that makes her so likeable and believably human. She brings to mind Peter Robinson's DCI Alan Banks, and I can easily see DI Rome's transference to the screen in a similar manner.

A clever and utterly engrossing plot that is terrifying without being gratuitous, No Other Darkness had me hooked at page one, taking me on a rollercoaster ride as the plot thickened and twisted, leaving me no option but to hang on tight as the pace increased. Just as the ride seemed to be slowing towards its conclusion, the pace quickened around some final bends that I could not have foreseen. A disturbingly dark and gritty ride that left me breathless.