PAN MACMILLAN BUYS THRILLING DYSTOPIAN TRILOGY: WOULD YOU GIVE UP 10 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE?

Pan Macmillan is delighted to announce the acquisition of Slavedays and sequels, by debut novelist Vic James. Senior Commissioning editor Bella Pagan bought UK and Commonwealth rights at auction for a six-figure sum, from Robert Kirby at United Agents.

Slavedays is an absolute firecracker of a novel. With its charismatic characters, evocative British setting and a stand-out conceptual twist, Vic James has come up with a truly winning formula. Her Orwellian page-turner will appeal to readers of all ages – from fans of Samantha Shannon’s The Bone Season to devotees of the Game of Thrones series, with its compulsive personal and dynastic power struggles.

The trilogy is set in a modern Britain, where everyone must endure ten years of slavery in service to a magically gifted aristocracy. Here, a teenage boy dreams of rebellion. His older sister yearns for love and knowledge. And – as political machinations clash with family intrigues – a dangerous young aristocrat will remake the world with his dark gifts.

Vic James said: ‘Who wouldn't dream of joining the Publisher of the Year? I loved Bella's vision and ambition for the Slavedays trilogy, and can't wait to get working with the talented team at Pan Macmillan.’

Pagan commented: ‘I absolutely adored Slavedays – WHAT a read! Vic James truly knows how to catch and hold a reader. I knew I just had to publish this, or how else could I get the next fabulous instalment ahead of anyone else.’

Vic James is a current affairs TV director who loves stories in all their forms. She has twice judged the Guardian’s Not The Booker Prize, has produced investigations for Channel 4 News, and is a huge Wattpad success story. The first draft of Slavedays was read more than a quarter of a million times in a year, on the Wattpad forum. And the book won the ‘Talk of the Town’ prize for most talked about Fantasy in Wattpad’s Watty Awards, in January 2015. Pan Macmillan will be publishing Slavedays from spring 2017, with the two sequels to follow.