Review: The Wizard and the White House by Mike Maggio

The Wizard and the White House - Mike Maggio

Published by:  Little Feather Books (18th September 2014)

ISBN: 978-0991332977

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 2.5*

Synopsis:

President Gerald Wellington Thorne, a bumbling and ineffective leader, wakes up one morning to discover that his mouth has disappeared.

On the very same day, Larry White, a janitor at Union Station, wakes up from a long night of drinking and realizes that he now has two mouths. His wife decides that this is actually a blessing in disguise, one that offers her a chance to save her husband from drink and eternal damnation. She enlists the help of her pastor, who in turn recognizes this as his once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform his run-down storefront mission into a lucrative mega-church.

And while Thorne and White are assessing their respective dilemmas, Fuzzaluddin Choudry, a humble and affable immigrant butcher from Pakistan, hears the voice of God in a water spout in Washington, DC's Tidal Basin. The voice tells him that he has been chosen to save the President of the United States.

What evil force is behind this madness? Will the world ever be the same? Would it be better if we had a President without a mouth?

The Wizard and the White House is a delightful fantasy full of humor and imagination. Mike Maggio's take on the clash of cultures in contemporary American life will leave you smiling... and perhaps wondering whether the foolishness we are witnessing in today's politics could be improved only through a good dose of magic.

Review:

The Wizard and the White House is an unusual book; part fantasy and part humour. The separate chains to the same story work well together on their own before being drawn together at the conclusion.

I found some of the characters rather one-dimensional, which didn't enhance my reading pleasure. That, coupled with rather a lot of 'filler' I thought unnecessary, really spoiled this book for me. I liked some parts of it, but not enough to rate it higher, unfortunately.

I received a review copy of this novel from the publisher, via NetGalley, in return for my unbiased review.