Review: The Spider in the Corner of the Room by Nikki Owen

The Spider in the Corner of the Room (The Project Trilogy) - Nikki Owen

Published by: MIRA (4th June 2015)

ISBN-13: 978-1848453739

Synopsis:

Plastic surgeon Dr Maria Martinez has Asperger’s. Convicted of killing a priest, she is alone, in prison and has no memory of the murder.

DNA evidence places Maria at the scene of the crime, yet she claims she’s innocent. Then she starts to remember…

A strange room. Strange people. Being watched.

As Maria gets closer to the truth she is drawn into a web of international intrigue and must fight not only to clear her name but to remain alive.

Review:

I received a 5 chapter sample of this book via Netgalley and became utterly engrossed in the story. I decided to buy the book so I could get to know Maria better.

I flew through the rest of the book and read it in less than 24 hours. It's a fast paced thriller with an exciting yet touching story. You cannot fail to be moved by Maria's vulnerability - she doesn't know whether she is guilty of the crime she has been incarcerated for and is convinced that everyone is conspiring against her. As the book progressed, I began to think that maybe Maria was right!

Nikki Owen's writing is so brilliantly descriptive that I got completely caught up with all the emotions. The imagery is so vivid, you can almost see, hear and smell what is happening. I'm already looking forward to her next book.