Review: The Mountain Can Wait by Sarah Leipciger

The Mountain Can Wait - Sarah Leipciger

Published by: Tinder Press (7th may 2015)

ISBN: 978-1472223890

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 3*

Synopsis:

Set in a stunning but scarred Canadian landscape, THE MOUNTAIN CAN WAIT is a story of fathers and sons and the heartache they cause each other, in the tradition of Annie Proulx.

Tom Berry has always been a loner, a man content to live out his days in the wilderness with just enough ammunition and kerosene to last out the winter. A single father, he has raised his children with the same quiet and absolute dedication he brings to his forestry business, but now he's discovering that might not have been enough.

When his son, Curtis, on the brink of adulthood, disappears after a tragic accident, it falls to Tom, the hunter, to track him down. Whether he can truly reach Curtis is another matter.

Review:

I have very mixed feelings about Sarah Leipciger's debut; some parts I really enjoyed but others didn't engage me fully. Tom's character is quite well developed but I found other characters less so.

The setting, rugged Canada, is so beautifully described, I could almost smell the air, but parts of the book featuring Tom and son Curtis are my least favourite. It seemed like a lot of time was devoted to this but, for me, the conclusion was a huge anticlimax.

I received an Advance Readers Copy of this book via Netgalley.