Review: Don't Turn Around (Detective Jennifer Knight #1) by Caroline Mitchell

Don't Turn Around - Caroline Mitchell

Publisher: Bookouture (24th April, 2015)

ISBN: 978-1909490987

Source: Netgalley

Rating; 4.5*

Synopsis:

You don't know him. But he knows you...

As D.C. Jennifer Knight investigates a routine stabbing in the quiet town of Haven, she is shocked at what seems like a personal message from beyond the grave. When more bodies are found, Jennifer is convinced the killings are somehow linked. What she discovers is more chilling than she could possibly imagine. The murders mirror those of the notorious Grim Reaper - from over twenty years ago. A killer her mother helped convict. Jennifer can no longer ignore the personal connection.

Is there a copycat killer at work?

Was the wrong man convicted?

Or is there something more sinister at play?

With her mother's terrifying legacy spiralling out of control, Jennifer must look into her own dark past in a fight not only to stop a killer - but to save herself and those she loves.

My Review:

I finally started reading Don't Turn Around a couple of days ago, after it had been on my Netgalley shelf for a few months. I've had a lot of books to review, so it ended up sitting there, unread, for a while.

Initially, I was sure that Caroline Mitchell's debut would turn out to be another crime novel featuring a female detective with a secret to hide. I've read quite a few of these in recent months and, whilst I do really enjoy them, I'd been suffering from overload, resulting in my reading other genres.

In some ways, this novel met my expectations, and I was a bit disillusioned with it for the first few chapters. A killer, a fragile female detective, you know the story...

But, quite unexpectedly, Don't Turn Around turned into something else entirely. Detective Jennifer Knight has another card to play that singles her out from the pack.

The cat and mouse hunt for the killer is suspenseful and chilling; I became utterly engrossed. I can't really say much more, but suffice to say that my initial misgivings were unfounded; I may just have found my new favourite detective!