Disclaimer by Renée Knight

Disclaimer: A Novel - Renée Knight

Published by: Transworld - 9th April 2015 (kindle & hardcover), 31st December 2015 (paperback)

ISBN: 978-1784160227 (paperback)

Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

What if you realised the book you were reading was ask about you?

When an intriguing novel appears on Catherine's bedside table, she curls up in bed and begins to read.

But as she turns the pages she is sickened too realise the story will reveal her darkest secret.

A secret she thought no one else knew.

My review:

Disclaimer  is a tense thriller of the slow burning variety. The first quarter of the book lays the foundations, leaving the story to develop over the rest of the book. It is not until the last quarter that the pace really picks up, and I found I lost interest a little around the middle section. I became a little impatient and could feel my interest waning a touch. In contradiction, however, I do like that the story is quite dark, with Catherine's secret held back from the reader until the last possible minute. I want it both ways!

I found the characters well written and Catherine believable. I was less keen on the other characters and couldn't warm to Nick at all. The narrative is relayed from multiple perspectives, which don't always work for me but did in this case. The various ways the characters interpret the events is interesting and the evidence led me to the same conclusion; to be more fickle would've served us well.

Disclaimer should appeal to fans of psychological thrillers and I'd also recommend it to readers of other fiction. The deeply humanistic focus will endear this novel to a great many readers.

*I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.