Review: Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary

Someone Else's Skin - Sarah Hilary

Someone Else's Skin is the 'crime debut of the year', claims the back cover of Sarah Hilary's first novel. Big words to live up to indeed.

Detective Inspector Marnie Rome is brilliant at her job and a rising star in the police ranks. She has also had to fight her way back following the murder of her parents. Marnie is dependable and fierce, if only on the surface. There are secrets swirling beneath the surface that Marnie keeps firmly to herself. But secrets have a way of making themselves known.

Marnie and her partner, Detective Sargeant Noah Jake, visit a women's refuge to interview one of the residents. At the refuge, they discover the brutal murder of another woman's husband. As the duo investigate, events begin to spiral and the violence escalates.  In order to discover the identity of the killer and solve the case, Marnie needs to look closely at her own secrets and face her demons once and for all.

In Marnie Rome, Hilary has created a brilliant female lead character. A little flawed by events beyond her control, Marnie throws herself into work to keep herself sane. But this case comes a little too close to home. Throughout the book, Marnie comes across as dependable and highly skilled at her job, but a more vulnerable and entirely human side shows through the hard exterior at times. Utterly endearing, Marnie's character is bound to strike a chord with readers of all ages.

The author has created a brilliantly constructed series of events that test Marnie and Noah to the limit, with both detectives being sucked into the eye of the hurricane. This novel really kept me guessing with its twists and turns. Every time I thought I had sussed it out, I was pleasantly surprised by being proven wrong.

I really struggled to put this book down. I kept falling asleep and dropping the book, which woke me up so I could read just one more chapter! Apologies to my hubby and our dogs for the disturbed sleep! Someone Else's Skin grabbed my attention from the outset, pulled me in and then flung me out like a wet dishcloth at the end! Utterly enthralling.

I'm really excited about this new crime author and I'm really looking forward to reading her next novel.

Thanks to the bookbridgr team for the review copy I received in return for an honest review.