Review: Hellbounce (The ARC Chronicles #1) by Matthew W. Harrill

Hellbounce (The ARC Chronicles) (Volume 1) - Matthew W Harrill

Publication Date: 30th May 2014

ISBN: 978-1508499213

ASIN: B00WPTO46A

Source: Review copy provided by author

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:

Dr Eva Ross, a prison psychologist, works in Worcester, Massachusetts at an ageing facility. Her boss, the brilliant and often unorthodox Gideon Homes begins to make decisions that Eva is forced to question. Between the trials at work and her loveless marriage, Eva is forced out of the life she knows.

She encounters Madden Scott, a drifter with irascible charm and very quickly it becomes apparent that all is not what it seems. Her life descends into chaos as everything around her crumbles into a new reality and the secrets that were barely hidden under the surface all become revealed in a series of chilling incidents.

Join Eva and Madden as they undertake an adventure that takes them through nightmares and across continents as they are thrust, without choice, into the shadowy world of Anges de la Resurrection des Chevaliers, the last barrier between earth, and what lies beneath.

My review:

I really like the way the pace builds from the very beginning when we meet Madden during a thrilling car chase and then Eva at her place of work. One of Eva's patients is a very disturbed individual with Borderline Personality Disorder, which struck a chord with me as I've previously worked with people who have various mental health issues including BPD.

As the story unfolds and we follow Madden and Eva on their adrenaline fuelled adventure from Jamaica, through Egypt, to Afghanistan (via many other places) it's clear the author knows his characters very well. Hellbounce is intelligently written with fantastically detailed descriptions, particularly during the more horrific, gory parts of the novel.

As a fan of TV series like Supernatural and Grimm, this book was right up my street and I thoroughly enjoyed trying to identify the demons among the characters. Hellbounce is perfect for readers into the supernatural and/or horror but I'd recommend it even if they are not your favourite genres. Try it - you might just be pleasantly surprised!

I'm so looking forward to reading Hellborne, the second book in the ARC series, very soon.

*Thanks to author Matthew W. Harrill for providing me with a copy of Hellbounce in return for my honest review.