Review: The Jackdaw (DI Sean Corrigan #4) by Luke Delaney

The Jackdaw - Luke Delaney

Publication Date: 12th March 2015 (hardcover)

Publisher: HarperCollins

ISBN: 978-0007585687

Source: Lovereading, Netgalley

Rating: 4*

Synopsis:

The fourth novel in the DI Sean Corrigan series – authentic and terrifying crime fiction with a psychological edge, by an ex-Met detective. Perfect for fans of Mark Billingham, Peter James and Stuart MacBride.

Guilty or not guilty?

A lone vigilante is abducting wealthy Londoners and putting their fate in the hands of the public. Within hours of disappearing, the victims appear on the internet, bound to a chair in a white room.

Revenge or mercy?

Their crimes of greed and incompetence are broadcast to the watching thousands who make up the jury. Once the verdict is cast, the man who calls himself ‘The Jackdaw’ will be judge and executioner.

Live or die?

DI Sean Corrigan and his Special Investigations Unit are under pressure to solve this case fast. But as The Jackdaw’s popularity grows, Corrigan realizes he’s hunting a dangerously clever and elusive adversary – one who won’t stop until his mission is complete.

Review:
This is the first book in the DI Corrigan series that I've read. I didn't realise it was part of a series, it reads so well as a stand-alone novel.
The Jackdaw is a well-written and scary character, a vigilante who you wouldn't want to meet anywhere, let alone down a dark alley!
Sean Corrigan is a fantastic character to read. He immerses himself in the case to the exclusion of his family and many of his colleagues, as he tries to get inside the mind of the Jackdaw. Whilst not a psychologist or profiler, Corrigan reminds me of Val McDermid's Tony Hill, in the way he approaches the case and talks to himself as he tries to uncover the truth. Supporting characters Sally, Dave and Anna provide useful background information and a wealth of comprehensive interaction with Corrigan.
The Jackdaw is a gritty crime thriller full of tense moments and unexpected twists. It held my interest throughout I'd recommend it to fans of crime writers such as Mark Billingham and Val McDermind.